Owning a waterfront home or property is a great way to let your family relax and enjoy nature. Homes on Lake Keowee, as well as many other South Carolina waterfront properties, offer stunning views and plenty of fun activities for everyone to enjoy. However, lakefront living also has many potential hazards. Homeowners with waterfront property have a huge responsibility to make sure their property is safe, and to make sure their family and guests know how to stay out of danger in the water.Follow these simple guidelines to keep your Lake Keowee waterfront property safe:
1. Check your local weather forecast before going out on the water.
2. Always tell someone that you are going out and when you plan to return.
3. Make sure your residential dock is securely fastened to the shore, in good repair, and well-lit.
4. Make sure you have plenty life vests in a wide range of sizes and that all vests are in good condition.
5. Familiarize yourself with the navigation aids and buoy system before going out on the water.
6. Be aware of overhead power lines when operating a sailboat.
7. The general rule of traffic on the water is that boats approaching from the right have the right of way.
8. If the boat capsizes, stay with the boat.
9. NEVER operate a boat under the influence of alcohol!